Thursday 13 March 2008

Johno: "We're more than capable"



MICHAEL JOHNSON IS confident he has seen enough ability and commitment in the Magpies squad to help Notts County stave off relegation out of the Football league.The 35 year-old has had an immediate effect on the Notts rearguard with sterling displays against Barnet and Lincoln City -despite the Magpies only being able to pick up two points in three games since his return.
But despite an inability to pick up crucial wins in recent weeks and one point in two home games, the former Birmingham man says he is sure the squad has what it takes to steer clear of the bottom two.
He said: "It’s embarrassing when you see the size of the club in this league and the players we’ve got but they’ve shown to me they’re more than capable to get his club out of the situation they’re in."
"I’ve played a few games down the years at a reasonable level, it’s now time to draw on that experience, put it into the team and hopefully amongst the players we’ve got here we can guide the club to safety. It’ll be up there with some of my achievements in my career if we can."
"The financial state of the club has taken quite a battering over the last few years and it’s disappointing but all we can do as a team and individuals is try and ensure this club stays in the football league this season."
"At 35, you’re called back and you’re not sure what to expect. You come here and see the pitch for instance and it’s a shocker. I don’t want to come here and be critical and opinionated but we’re a football club and want to be playing football-it’s taking away from what some of the lads want to do here."
"It’s a fighting game now because they’re taking the football away from Notts County by putting a pitch like that out. I understand the club is struggling for money but that needs to be addressed if we’re going to go forward."
And he is remaining open minded about where his future may lie next season.
He added: "The stage I am in my career and the fact I never left Nottingham and also the club coming back to me with the people in charge, I thought it’s a great time to go back to Notts."
"I’ll give it my best shot between now and the end of the season and obviously if I’m successful here I’ll decide what I’ll do after that."




No comments: